High tech chairs offer beach enjoyment for mobility challenged
Being mobility challenged can be frustrating, especially when one wants to enjoy our beautiful beaches in South Walton. However, five South Walton Fire District Lifeguard Stations offer beach wheelchairs for public use, making access much easier. This service is offered at no charge through a partnership between South Walton Fire District (SWFD) and the Walton County Tourist Development Council.
The beach wheelchairs are located at the following accesses from west to east:
• Miramar Beach Regional Access – 2375 Scenic Gulf Drive, Miramar Beach
• Dune Allen Regional Beach Access Tower – 5999 Co. Rd 30-A W, Santa Rosa Beach
• Ed Walline Regional Beach Access – 4447 West County Highway 30A, Santa Rosa Beach
• Van Ness Butler Regional Beach Access – 1931 East County Highway 30A, Santa Rosa Beach
• Santa Clara Regional Beach Access – 3468 East County Highway 30A, Santa Rosa Beach
• Inlet Beach Regional Access – 438 South Orange Street Center, Panama City Beach
Click here for interactive map.
The chairs are available from 10 a.m. until 5.30 p.m. daily, and are available through the lifeguard season which is from the first Saturday in March until the last Sunday in September. Each chair must be operated by an on-duty lifeguard.
A beach wheelchair waiver must be signed by the beach wheelchair patron or their caregiver. It is requested that the beach patron limit the usage of the beach wheelchair to the beach area in the immediate vicinity of the public beach access. In order to facilitate the possible need for multiple patrons, it is recommended that the beach patron’s personal chair be used once the patron has reached their beach location.
For more information, call South Walton Fire District office at (850) 267-1298.