Sept. 15, 2020 – 11:45 a.m. – During the continuation of the Walton County Board of County Commissioner’s Emergency Meeting held this morning, September 15, 2020, the Walton County BCC has taken the following actions:
- Walton County EOC has been activated to a Level 1.
- Walton County Governmental Offices, scheduled public meetings and transit operations will be closed on Wednesday, September 16th.
- Walton County will issue a voluntary evacuation order for Zone A and low lying areas along the Shoal River, Choctawhatchee River and all tributaries within Walton County beginning at 5:00pm
- Walton County will be opening a shelter this afternoon at Freeport High School beginning at 5:00pm. Freeport High School is located at 12615 US Hwy 331 Business in Freeport. Anyone who plans to go to the shelter should bring their disaster supply kits with them and be prepared to be self-sufficient.
- Walton County schools will be closed on Wednesday, September 16.
- Walton County will be activating the Citizen Information Center beginning at 1:00pm at 850-892-8392.
A Tropical Storm Warning has been issued for all of Walton County. In addition, based on the current track of Hurricane Sally, life threatening flash flooding and moderate to major river flooding is possible with this storm. At this time, 15” to 20” of rainfall is expected for our area through Thursday.
Possibility of isolated tornadoes exists in Walton County through Wednesday. Currently, potential storm surge for Hurricane Sally in Walton County expected to be between 2′ to 3′.
As the storm continues to evolve, changes in potential track of Hurricane Sally is possible.
The Walton County BCC will reconvene their meeting tomorrow afternoon, September 16 at 1:30pm at the Walton County Emergency Operations Center located at 75 South Davis Lane in DeFuniak Springs. At that time, the BCC will decide if any additional actions will be taken.
To find your evacuation zone, please visit: https://bit.ly/2E3lnyC
Walton County has 4 sandbag locations with bags and sand available. Please take a shovel just in case.
- Blue Mountain Beach At the District 5 Road Department on County Road 83
- Miramar Beach at the TDC vacant lot property located on Driftwood Road just north of Scenic Gulf Dr.
- Santa Rosa Beach on Bay Drive (CR 83N) just north of Hwy 98 on east side of road
- Just West of City Hall going towards the Swimming Pool
Now is the time to act. Please make sure that you have the following prepared:
Disaster Supply Kit – https://www.co.walton.fl.us/553/Disaster-Supply-Kit
Know your Family Plan – https://www.co.walton.fl.us/552/Family-Plan
Register for Emergency Alerts – http://www.alertwalton.org
Social Media: www.facebook.com/WaltonCountyEM and Twitter @WaltonCountyEM