Second season success for Junior Lifeguards
This past weekend, six South Walton Fire District (SWFD) Junior Lifeguards competed in the United States Lifesaving Association (USLA) National Junior Lifeguard Championships in Ft. Lauderdale, as part of the USLA Emerald Coast Chapter Team. “This is the second season for the SWFD’s Junior Lifeguard Program and we could not be more pleased. These youngsters exceeded all of our expectations”, said Rick Talbert, SWFD Fire Chief.
“Our team was led by SWFD Professional Lifeguards Justin Cook and Adam Boyer. The team was comprised of Grayton Scheinkman, Lee Cox, Chris Wise, Walker Lehman, Matt Wise and Chase Cox. These young competitors were amazing and supported each other in all events. We competed in 3 different arenas, spread out across the beach, and yet they were there to cheer each other on,” said Gary Wise, Beach Safety Director.
“The following results are illustrative of how hard all the kids trained. This is a National Championship and to place this well speaks volumes,” said Wise.
“C” age group (10-11 years old)
• Grayton Scheinkman – Run-Swim-Run 18th place, Beach Flags 16th place tie, Board Race 14th place tie, Iron Guard 13th place.
• Lee Cox – Beach Run 5th, Run-Swim-Run 9th, Beach Flags 9th place, Surf Rescue Race 11th place, Board Race 2nd place, Iron Guard 4th place.
• Chris Wise – Beach Run 9th place, Beach Flags 12th place, Surf Rescue Race 11th place, Board Race 1st place.
“B” age group (12-13 years old)
• Walker Lehman – Surf Race 28th place, Board Race 14th place tie, Run-Swim-Run 26th place, Beach Flags 16th place tie.
• Matt Wise – Board Race 2nd place, Iron Guard 3rd place, Run-Swim-Run 9th place, Swim Relay 9th place (“A” age group)
“A” age group (14-15 years old)
• Chase Cox – Beach Run 4th place, Board Race 16th place, Swim Relay 9th place, Iron Guard 18th place, Beach Flags 16th place tie.