Swim tryouts at Ed Walline Park (South end of CR 393) Fri., May 17 at 3 p.m. and Sat., May 18 at 9 a.m. Deadline for application May 16.
The South Walton Junior Lifeguard Program will be under the supervision of Gary Wise, South Walton Fire District Beach Safety Director and South Walton Fire District Professional Lifeguards.
Program participants will be instructed in many aspects of beach and water safety and environmental topics.
Qualifying for boys and girls ages 9 – 15
Registration is limited. There is a swimming ability guideline that must be met prior to participating in this program. All participants should be able to swim using proper freestyle form with correct breathing (face in the water) and stroke skills.
- 09 – 11 years old: must swim 100 yards FREESTYLE in 4 minutes or less
- 12 – 13 years old: must swim 150 yards FREESTYLE in 5 minutes or less
- 14 – 15 years old: must swim 200 yards FREESTYLE in 6 minutes or less
- All participants must tread water for a minimum of 1 minute
● Warm up exercises, stretching
● Rescue board paddling, open water swimming
● Iron guard – run, swim, paddle, run
● Beach flags and running
● Kayak paddling, surfing, and boogie boarding
● Team relay races – rescue board, swimming, beach run, iron guard
● Rescue technique stations – rescue board, rescue buoy’s, kayak and landlines
● Snorkeling (based on safe conditions)
● Understanding the Beach Safety Warning Flags
● Understanding rip currents
● Health – sun safety, exercise, and nutrition
● Being a Lifesaver – what to do in a rescue – identify, notify, respond
● Weather awareness and safety
● First Aid / CPR / AED medical emergency care
● PWC (personal water craft) rescue swimmer crew person instruction
BEACH SAFETY DIRECTOR
SOUTH WALTON FIRE DISTRICT
911 N COUNTY HIGHWAY 393
SANTA ROSA BEACH, FL 32459
There will be a limit of 60 participants for the 2013 Junior Lifeguard Program. No applications will be accepted after Wednesday May 16 at 4 p.m.
Per Child $150.00 – Each additional child per family: $135.00
Registration is limited to the applicants whose completed registration/waivers are received and swim tryout standards are met. The registration fee is contingent upon your child qualifying for the SWFD Junior Lifeguard Program and will be collected after swim tryouts are completed.
Included in the enrollment fee is one sun protective rash guard that must be warn at all times during program attendance.
The enrollment fee also includes an end of season cookout and awards presentation.