The UF/IFAS Panhandle Agriculture Extension Team is offering a Basic Beekeeping School in February and March. These classes will be offered via interactive video conferencing at Extension Offices across the Panhandle. Details are listed below, please call your local UF/IFAS Extension Service to register and if you have any questions. See you there!
- These classes will be taught by Dr. Jamie Ellis and other state and nationally recognized beekeeping experts from the University of Florida Honey Bee Research and Extension Lab and the Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services Bureau of Plant and Apiary Inspection.
- There will be three Monday-evening and one Tuesday evening interactive video conferences from 6:00 – 8:00 pm Central time, (7-9 pm Eastern time) and a Saturday bee-yard field day.
- Each 30-50 minute presentation will be followed by a question/answer period
February 24: Honey Bee Biology and Anatomy
March 3: Varroa Mite Biology and Control
March 10: Honey Bees of the World and Beekeeping History
March 15: Bee-Yard Field-Day – A hands on teaching opportunity
March 18: Yearly Management of the honey bee
- The cost for all five classes is $25 per person or $40 for a family. This fee will cover course materials and refreshments.
- Deadline to register is February 17, 2014. Please contact your local UF IFAS Extension office to register or to find out more details.
Walton area offices:Bay County 850-784-6105, Holmes County 850-547-1108, Okaloosa County 850-689-5850, Walton County 850-892-8172, Washington County 850-638-6180