Gum Creek Cemetery, Glendale
8 a.m. – Gum Creek Cemetery is thought to be 160 years old. As such, it marks the final resting place for veterans from America’s wars as far back as the early 19th century, with 12 known Civil War Veterans and one confirmed Seminole War Veteran. There are many veterans from 20th Century conflicts buried in the cemetery.
Gum Creek Cemetery will be hosting their annual Memorial Day Remembrance May 25 and a celebration event to recognize the lives of those lost in battle, as well as our active and retired service men and women. The guest speaker for this year’s event will be retired Major Wade Wilmoth. Major Wilmoth is a veteran of Desert Storm, Iraqi Freedom, and Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan. Major Wilmoth is currently a family care giver for the Wounded Warrior Project. For additional information please contact Tom Baker at 850-951-7278.
Gum Creek Cemetery is located just off SR-83 north of DeFuniak Springs.
DeFuniak Springs Courthouse Lawn
10 a.m. – Memorial Day will be observed on the Walton County Courthouse lawn. Everyone is invited to this short patriotic ceremony.
Gulf Cemetery, Santa Rosa Beach
10 a.m. – Gulf Cemetery will be hosting their Memorial Day service with a variety of activities starting at 10 a.m.
• Presentation of Colors by the Emerald Coast Young Marines and Vernon Bishop.
• Keynote remarks by Rev. Don Ullrich, Col. U.S.A.F. retired
• Bagpiper Robert Andruss of Emerald Coast Pipe and Drums
• Patriotic music by Nancy Jo Willis, Anita Sloan, and James McDowell
• Invocation and benediction of Rev. Pete Hyde of Community Church
• Remembering our Veterans by Janet Frost and Windy Williams
• Honoring our fallen heroes and our loved ones who have gone before us
• Flyover by antique WWII vintage planes by The War Birds
• Invitation to the public to place American flags on all known veterans grave sites.
Baytowne Wharf, Sandestin
Enjoy a Memorial Day program just before sunset, presented by Sandestin Veterans at Baytowne Wharf, Sandestin. Admission is free and open to the public.