The 4-H Chick Chain project is designed to help 4-H’ers:
- Learn to produce healthy chickens
- Become aware of business practices
- Develop record keeping skills
- Learn biosecurity measures
- Realize the pride of accomplishment
How it works?
You will select 6 chicks from two breeds of chickens, for a total of 12 chicks. The selection of breeds you will choose from are:
- Americauna (Easter Eggers)
- Barred Rocks
- Black Australorp
- Buff Orpington
- Light Brahma (QUANTITY LIMITED)
- Rhode Island Red
- White Leghorn
In April, you will receive your 12 pullets, 1-2 days old. They will come from a certified hatchery and will be properly vaccinated (NPIP certified.) You will care for these pullet for approximately 21 weeks. At that time, you will bring 3 pullets of the same breed to show at the 4-H Chick Chain Show in September.
Who can participate?
Any 4-H youth ages 5-18 as of SEPTEMBER 1, 2016. If you’re not a 4-H member you may become one by contacting your local 4-H Agent (email@example.com) and signing up. Cloverbuds (ages 5-7) will be allowed to participate in the full project and show but will not receive “placing” ribbons, instead they will receive a “participation” ribbon and other prizes equally if deemed appropriate by supporting agents.
How to participate?
- Complete the registration form. Mail it and your $50 fee (new) $5 (retuning laying hens) to 732 North 9th Street, Defuniak Springs, Fl 32433. Make checks payable to “Walton County 4-H Association.” DEADLINE FOR REGISTRATION AND PAYMENT IS FEBRUARY 24TH!
- Both youth and parent/guardian are REQUIRED to participate in a mandatory meeting on March 9th at your local Extension Office.
- Pick up your pullets on delivery day at Jackson County Extension Office in Marianna (tentatively March 29th by 4pm)
- Participate in a Showmanship Workshop on June 2nd at Washington County Ag Center 9:30am-2:30pm (transportation available)
- Participate in a Showmanship Ready seminar on August 17th at Walton County Extension Office 5:30pm.
- Turn in your portfolio to your 4-H Agent by September 11th.
- Participate in the Chick Chain Show September 30th at Jackson County Ag Complex.
**Determine which registration you will use: 1st Time Participants (didn’t participate last year, $50) OR Returning Participant ($5, participated last year and using THOSE birds in the production class)
- Register ONLINE: How to Register for Chick Chain with 4honline
- Register via PAPER: 2017_Chick_Chain_Registration_Form_FINAL
T-shirt Design Contest: 2017 Chick Chain T-Shirt Contest Flyer
Production Manual: 2017_Chick Chain Production Manual