The annual Florida Chautauqua Assembly will be held in DeFuniak Springs Jan. 24-27, 2013. The Assembly is a historic 4-day educational program is comprised of famous or notable keynote speakers, educational breakout sessions, performance teas, evening dinner performances and exhibits relating to an annual theme.
The 2013 theme is “A Journey into the American Chautauqua Movement,” featuring a keynote presentation by former First Lady Rosalynn Carter. Mrs. Carter will speak at the Walton High School Auditorium. For a complete lineup of times, locations and ticket purchase, click here.
Featured presentations include a welcome party with President Teddy Rossevelt, History of the Chautauqua Movement, Words for Wings, Flying Through Life with Jackie Cochran, The Tuskegee Airmen Story, Wings of Opportunity, The Wright Brothers’ Time in Alabama, The Titanic and Her People – 100 Years Later, performance teas, breakout sessions and more.
Free exhibits include:
• Camp Conservation Live Animal Exhibits and Presentations – Fairgrounds
• Healthy Outdoors Expo – Fairgrounds
• Civil War Camp – Lake Yard
• Muscogee Nation Encampment and traveling museum – Lake Yard
• Florida Frontiersmen Settlement Camp – Lake Yard
• Walton Heritage Museum – Circle Drive
• Student Museum “Journey Through the Chautauqua Trail – Hall of Brotherhood
• Plein Air Paint Out – Lake Yard
• Tree Planting Ceremony with Former First Lady Rosalynn Carter (Friday, 1:45 p.m.) – Hall of Brotherhood
• Birdhouse Building Clinic for Kids (Sat., Jan. 26, 10 a.m – 2 p.m.) by Home Depot – Fairgrounds
• Florida Chautauqua History Exhibit – Fairgrounds
• Porcelain Art Show – Community Center
A “passport” for the entire Assembly is $125. Or, tickets to individual sessions may be purchased at event locations. Click here for registration.