Deer hunting still going strong in Zone D

February 1, 2011

Tony Young's an avid sportsman and native Floridian. He's the media relations coordinator for the FWC's Division of Hunting and Game Management and lives in Tallahassee with his family.

Outta’ the Woods

by Tony Young

Hunting season has been pretty good so far. I shot a 170-pound 7 point and a doe during Zone C’s doe week. Then, I shot another doe on the first day of Zone D’s antlerless deer season. What made that hunt special was that I took it off some property I have on the Sopchoppy River that’s less than an acre in size!  And, it was the very first time I ever even hunted it since I bought the 70-foot-wide lot in 2005, making it the first deer I ever harvested on land I own.

But, I still have a little room left in my freezer, and I’m not calling it quits just yet. After all, there are still lots of hunting days left in my neck of the woods, and my game camera’s still taking pictures of some pretty good bucks, although they are mostly at night, I must admit.

So if you’re like me, or if you live in the central or southern part of the state and don’t mind hunting with a primitive weapon, then point your pickup truck north, because Zone D’s deer season is still goin’ strong on private lands and on a lot of the wildlife management areas (WMAs).

The second phase, if you will, of muzzleloading gun season runs Feb. 21-27 in this western part of the Panhandle.  This unique late season, which occurs only in Zone D, was established to allow hunters the chance to hunt the rut that runs from late January through February in this part of the state.
A $5 Muzzleloading Gun Permit is required to hunt during this season, where, on private land, hunters have the choice of using a muzzleloader, bow or crossbow.

On WMAs, this post-season is referred to as the archery/muzzleloading gun season.  Hunters can use bows or muzzleloaders, but no crossbows – unless they possess a Disabled Crossbow Permit.  Hunters who choose to hunt with a bow must have the $5 Archery Permit, and those using a muzzleloader need the $5 Muzzleloading Gun Permit.

The most common game to hunt during this season are deer and wild hogs.  Only bucks may be taken (even if you use a bow), and one antler must be at least 5 inches in length.  If you’re hunting deer, make sure you have the new $5 Deer Permit first.  On private land, the daily bag limit is two.  Bag limits and antler size for deer on WMAs can differ, so please consult the area brochure before you hunt.

Wild hogs aren’t considered game animals on private lands, and because of this, they can be taken year-round by most weapons with no bag or size limits.  On most WMAs, there’s also no bag or size limits, and hogs are legal to take during most hunting seasons except spring turkey.  On selected WMAs, specific bag and size limits do apply, so check the area’s brochure to make sure.

No dogs may be used in the pursuit of deer during this season, but leashed dogs can be used to track a wounded deer if necessary.  And it’s important to note that no turkeys may be taken during this season.

Bows and crossbows must have a minimum draw weight of 35 pounds, and hand-held releases on bows are permitted.  Broadheads used in taking deer must have at least two sharpened edges with a minimum width of 7/8 inch.

During this season, you may use only muzzleloaders that take black powder or a non-nitro-cellulose substitute and are fired by wheel lock, flintlock or percussion cap ignition (including 209 primers).  You may not use muzzleloaders that require smokeless powder or those with self-contained cartridge ammunition capabilities.  For hunting deer, muzzleloaders that fire single bullets must be at least .40-caliber, and those firing two or more balls must be 20-gauge or larger.

And you’re allowed to take deer and hogs over feeding stations on private land, but it’s illegal to do that on WMAs.

Twelve of the WMAs in Zone D have the late archery/muzzleloading gun season. If you plan to hunt any of ’em, you must have the $26 Management Area Permit as well as your hunting license. And the following nine WMAs don’t require a quota permit during this period: Apalachicola, Apalachicola River, Choctawhatchee River, Econfina Creek, Escambia River, Point Washington, Tate’s Hell, Upper Chipola River and Yellow River.
You can get all of the licenses and permits you’ll need at any tax collector’s office, retail outlet that sells hunting and fishing supplies, by calling 888-HUNT-FLORIDA or by going online at

So if you’re like me and not quite ready to give up on deer hunting, have no fear, ’cause February’s here!  Grab your favorite primitive weapon and head to Zone D, where the rut’s goin’ on hot and heavy.

1 Comment
    1. I am looking for hog hunting opportunities in the Red Bay area. I have never hunted this area and I would like to. Can anyone help me find some land accessable to me to hunt on? I would appreciate any help I can get. I can be reached at for replies. Thank you

Comments are closed.