The City of DeFuniak Springs is hosting their the fifth annual fly-in/aviation festival, “Marvel of Flight.” Event times are Friday, April 10th from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. and on Saturday, April 11 from 9 a.m to. 4 p.m. at DeFuniak Springs Municipal Airport on Hwy 90 West.
Come experience history at the DeFuniak Springs Airport. The theme of the 2015 Marvel of Flight is “Rising Above Adversity,” honoring the Tuskegee Airmen of WWII. The RISE ABOVE Traveling Exhibit offers spectators a unique insight into the lives of the Tuskegee Airmen and also features a fully restored P-51 Mustang static display. In addition, a featured attraction will be the Army Aviation Heritage Foundation Wiregrass Chapter with their Huey and Cobra Helicopters.
The event not only highlights the airport but it also educates the general public about aviation.
The array of events include aircraft judging, helicopter rides in a Vietnam Era Huey and Cobra, bi-plane rides, the RE/MAX Balloon team program by RE/MAX Agency One – Crestview, pilot seminars, live entertainment, an aviation themed interactive exhibit and displays by NASA Kennedy Space Center, arts & crafts, free kids activities, car show, model rockets, RC planes, great food and much more! This is an alcohol-free day of “hometown” fun for the entire family.
Friday afternoon the campgrounds open at 5 pm for pilots. Early evening events include the Healthmark Regional Medical Center 5k Walk/Run as well as food/live entertainment. In addition, Monarch Aviation is hosting an opportunity for participants to meet Sonny Everett, an American aviator, author and broadcaster as well as a model rocket build and launch program for kids, pilots’ dinner and a movie.
For more information, call the airport staff at 850-892-2000 or visit the website at www.marvelofflight.com.
Event admission: A donation of one jar of peanut butter or jelly to benefit the Matrix Community Center food bank.
- NASA Kennedy Space Center-Space and Aviation
- Southeast Alabama Rocketry Society-Model Rockets
- Eglin Aero Modellers-RC planes
- Aviation Art by Russell Ferris
- Dixie Division Military Vehicle Club
- Florida Forestry Aviation fire prevention exhibit featuring a UH-1H “Super Huey” and Cessna 182
- 4-H Youth Development Tech Wizards Program Exhibit
- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University Unmanned Aerial System (drone) Exhibit
- Patty Wagstaff Aerobatic Instruction Extra 300 Aircraft Exhibit
- Walton High School Tuskegee Airmen Display