October 9, 2019 – Walton County officials have issued a burn ban resolution:
WHEREAS, the Walton county Board of Commissioners does hereby find that the circumstances present in Walton County create a public safety hazard that would be exacerbated by outdoor burning; and
WHEREAS, Walton County Emergency Management and the Florida Forest Service have conferred and support the banning of open burning and certain fireworks use; and
WHEREAS, all outdoor burning of yard trash, household paper products, bonfires, campfires, warming fires, outdoor fireplaces, chimneys, and cooking fires within said jurisdiction is prohibited unless: 1) authorized by the Florida Forest Service: or 2) for the cooking of food exclusively within a contained gas or charcoal grill; and
WHEREAS, the setting of fires to any grass, brush or forest covered land, unless authorized by the Florida Forest Service, shall constitute a violation of the law; and
WHEREAS, this resolution shall expire when conditions are again deemed safe, upon such date as determined by the Walton County Board of Commissioners;
NOW, THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED THAT BURNING IS PROHIBITED IN ALL OF WALTON COUNTY, FL AS FOLLOWS:
1) Actions prohibited:
- a) A person violates this resolution if he/she burns any combustible material in an outdoor area.
- b) A person violates this resolution if he/she engages in any outdoor activity which could allow flames or sparks that could result in a fire.
- a) Upon notification of suspected outdoor burning, Walton County Fire Rescue or South Walton Fire District shall respond to the scene and take immediate measures to contain and/or extinguish the fire.
- b) As soon as possible, Walton County Sheriff’s Office shall respond to the scene to investigate the nature of the fire. The officer will request immediate compliance with this resolution.
3) This resolution does not apply to the following outdoor burning activities:
- a) Firefighter training
- b) Burn operations approved by the Florida Forest Service
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the Board of County Commissioners of Walton County, Florida, has caused this resolution to be enacted and executed this 8th day of October 2019.